Greg DeBacker

Default Questions on siding over asbestos shingles

(Brent Barkow) wrote in message . com...
The house we're buying is one of the last ones in the neighborhood
that hasn't had the siding updated, so I'd like some tips on siding
over the asbestos shingles. Here's what I was thinking - please tell
me where I'm wrong (there will be plenty of opportunity, I'm sure).

My first thought was to go directly over the asbestos siding with
vertical sheets of board-and-batten type T1-11. Would I need a
moisture barrier underneath the T1-11?

My other thought was to cover the asbestos siding with 1/4 inch
plywood, then go back with a lap siding. Moisture barrier?

What else should I look at that is INEXPENSIVE other than vinyl?

Also, how will the added thickness of the siding affect the windows
and doors? Do they need to be removed back to the rough opening and
then reinstalled after the siding is on?

Dumb questions, I know. I haven't done any siding before, but I really
want to do this myself. Sweat equity is a wonderful thing if the job
is done right.

Thanks,
Brent

Yes, you do want to remove it first. I too removed my own siding last
summer and the stuff breaks very easily. For me the dump fees were the
same as for regular garbage. My 3500 sq. ft. house had 5300 pounds of
asbestos siding on it. I did have to double bag it in 6 mil plastic
and tape in cardboard box. If you have someone remove it make sure you
get copies of the receipts from the waste disposal station so you know
it is dumped correctly.

I would advise against T1-11. Not only does it look bad but it rots
quickly. I would also stay away from vinyl siding. It makes the house
look like plastic. Also, if you have a problem 5 years from now with a
leak or something it can be a big problem if you need to get under
that stuff. For me there was the original redwood siding underneath
the asbestos. If I were you I would check out Hardi siding. It is a
composite cement siding that looks like wood. It comes in several
different profiles and comes with something like a 75 year warranty. I
built a shed out of it a few years ago and it was cheaper than T1-11.

Greg