Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default bending 5 foot dia circles of 1/2 or 3/4 EMT pipe

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:13:17 -0700 (PDT), DGoncz
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 8:18:06 PM UTC-4, brian wrote:
I would like to make some 360 degree hoops of either 1/2 EMT, or preferably
3/4 EMT for a model RR project ( helix construction). Would like to get approx
60" dia circle. Can you tell me how I might best go about this??

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...pe-639050-.htm

Certainly, mate; fill the tubing with (possibly wet) sand and bend it as though it were a solid rod; the peculiar "Poisson's Ratio" of the sand will make your tubing behave like a solid. Loverly, eh, wot?
Cheers,
Doug
Admin AT Replikon DOT Net also keeps the spam way down

If you use that method, use *dry* sand and pack it as tightly as you
can. It requires stoppers on each end -- typically wooden plugs that
are held in place with bolts or pieces of rod through holes
cross-drilled into the tube. Expect some distortion here after you're
done. It's best to assume that the ends will be waste.

If the sand isn't really tight, it will get pushed away at the point
of highest stress -- your bend point -- and do no good at all.

Be aware that this approach tends to leave the outer part of the bend
somewhat thinned. Unlike a commercial pipe bender, it doesn't
distribute the displacement of metal equally on the comperssion side
(the inside of the bend) and the tension side (the outside of the
bend). At least, that was my experience, when I used it to make
aluminum tent frames.

But it does work well. I've had to drive the sand in with a hammer to
get it packed tightly enough.

--
Ed Huntress