Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek Bill Vanek is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:34:53 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

So to your point, nobody logical suggested the fault was the tires.

Well I did. Like I said elsewhere, I was told by GM engineers that
certain tires, and certain vehicles have this sort of problem. You did
say that you hear a scrubbing sound even at low speeds. I remember
that Broughams from the 90's, and some early Excalades had this issue
because of the steering geometry and some other forces that I can't
remember. And it's been some years, but when I saw tires with certain
issues, I knew without looking what brand they were. And that is also
why people are saying that $100 tires are not such a good idea. Tires
with identical specs can vary wildly in quality. You don't necessarily
get more when you spend more, but in general, if you want higher
quality and especially durability, you need to pay more. The wear
ratings on tires are just that - the rate of *normal* wear. They don't
take into account any tendency of the tires to lose chunks of rubber,
or to distort, or to wear in odd patterns, or to start cracking
prematurely.