Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Shellac + wax

On 7/9/2017 11:44 AM, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 8:18:44 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:05:47 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
For the first time, I used shellac and wax on a table top. It looks great, warm and deep. But I'm concerned about durability. What has been your experience?

Thanks.

Dining table? Since you mentioned concerns of durability, I suspect there may be children in the family, hence dining tables are/can be targets for abuse. If you do subsequently have "damage", simply clean off the wax, repair the shellac finish, then topcoat with a more durable finish. Shellac readily accommodates top coating, of most finishes, that way.

Sonny

Thanks Sonny, Dr. Deb, and Brewster. The table will be in an artist studio and it will be used mostly to display objects but will likely see hot coffee/tea cups as well.

Keep in mind that shellac does not do well with spilled and forgotten
alcoholic drinks.