Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On 7/9/2017 9:35 AM, Chaya Eve wrote:

Cheap tyres do not perform as well as good quality tyres.

I'm really sorry to have to be blunt with you, but the only people who say
that are people who compare objects by price are those who known nothing
about the object but they do know numbers so that's why they pick price.

The MARKET sets the price. Do you really think, for example, that a $50,000
Rolex Watch tells better time than a $50 Timex watch?

I never buy cheap tyres for my car(s).

What you care about in tires is measureable "stuff" such as size, traction,
temperature generation, load range, treadwear, noise, comfort, and
handling.

I'm really sorry to have to be blunt with you, but you are not
translating this to your real life situation. Seems like you only care
about measurable stuff like meeting minimum requirements, not how the
suit your particular needs.

I do realize you don't really get what you pay for. If you pay 50% more
you are probably getting 25% more in performance, but you have to decide
if you need/want that performance. I drive a fully loaded, every
available option higher end car. I can get to the store just as fast in
a cheap stripped down economy model that is a better value but I choose
not to. It was a choice. The only value is what I justify to myself.

If you can get better "stuff" for less money, then you're paying more for
worse tires.

Sometimes. How are your tires working? Can you get better for less money?

Where did I ever say I buy *anything* on price alone?

Do I look like a person who doesn't use logic when making spending
decisions?

Yes, but twisted logic. I think you are using your knowledge of
marketing to justify you are a cheapskate.

If tires were a commodity to you and to me, then buying on price would be
fine - but neither of us thinks that tires are a commodity.

This is basic marketing 101 so if I'm wrong, then the past thousand years
of business teaching is all wrong and you're right that "you get what you
pay for".

Right, minimum spec is all that matters.