Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 13:02:50 -0400, "Steve W." wrote:

Thank you for that advice of
* Downhill twisting causes more front end wear than uphills
* Rotate more often
* Stiffer sidewall might help
* (less positive) camber might help

On the camber, if my search results are correct, the outside edge tire wear
would be due to too much positive camber (top spread out). That seems to
indicate that I would *lessen* the (positive) camber (get it closer to zero
than it is now).

Is that the correct direction?

Add some negative camber to move the tires closer in at the top,
correct. That would place some extra weight on the inner edge of the
tires and reduce the amount of wear at the outer edge.

On the "stiffer sidewalls", I searched for what that means in terms of
beign able to actually choose the stiffer sidewall between two tires was
the aspect ratio and the load range.

Is that correct?

Correct. The higher the speed rating and the higher the load rating the
more rubber and plies are in the sidewalls. That makes the sidewall
stiffer. That will work to prevent the edges from trying to roll under
causing the wear you are seeing. The drawback is that the stiffer tires
reduce ride quality.

I'm not likely to get a "shorter" tire aspect ratio so the only viable
option left is the higher load range (like going from 102S to 105S).

Are you suggesting that a higher load range tire will have less outside
edge feathering?

Yes. Raising the air pressure will also stiffen the tire, but it can
cause issues of it's own.

That all sounds like in the right direction!
* higher air pressure to reduce "roll" (maybe 36psi to 41 psi)
* less positive camber & less positive caster to reduce feathering
* stiffer sidewalls (using higher load range numbers) than OEM
* less wide tread contact patch (it's got the OEM 225s on it now)