Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heater inspection

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 11:09:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 10:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:30:18 AM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:19:27 AM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

I don't see how any state inspection would spot a leaking heater
core,
unless it's pouring out. In warm weather, the coolant flow is off,
there would be no leaking.

Wrong.

--
RonNNN

So, you have hot water flowing through your heater core when it 80 outside and the car interior is set to 70? Must be a unique car.

There may not be flow, but there is pressure on the hoses and core, and
it *WILL* still leak.

--
RonNNN

Thinking it through more, you're right. I was thinking valve off, no flow. But you're right, the return line is still open and going back to the coolant loop, so it will leak. Probably not as much, but it would leak unless it's some unusual design that cuts off both paths.

When my '61 Pontiac heater leaked, I took off the hoses from the heater
and put a piece of copper tubing to join them. Of course today, I'm not
sure if I could even find the hoses under the hood.

I was at a radiator shop when a guy came in with a leaking heater. Book
time was 8 hours labor to get it out and then back in. Ford Taurus.

Try it on a Jag XJC. About 18 hours, and no short cuts.