Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek Bill Vanek is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 14:36:03 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:19:04 +1000, Xeno wrote:

You have a solid live rear axle in that vehicle. There is no possibility
of a camber or toe adjustment at the rear. There is no change in camber
due to suspension deflections.

Thank you for confirming why the rear tires could wear flat while the front
tires seem to wear, as others said, on the outside edge (feathering) due
perhaps to the excessive camber due to the tires "rolling" on the downhill
20mph steep 10% many curves.

My "problem" with doing another alignment is that one was done two years
ago due to tires being 'wasted' but in this case, I don't want to waste an
entire brand-new tire just to doublecheck that alignment.

I realize this is a philosophical issue but it seems to me to be a crime
that alignment costs are such that they waste one of the four things
they're designed to save. In the case of the 4Runner, they waste one of two
things they're trying to save (the front tires).

It's a philosophical issue though, because it's the same cost:benefit issue
you make when you decide to get a heart transplant or a back operation.

Assuming costs in my area are about $100 (on sale) for an alignment and
about $100 per tire (includes mounting), the philosophical issue is that
the alignment costs 1/2 of what you're trying to save.

Philosophically, is it a smart decision to definitely kill half of what
you're trying to save, just to measure to see if it needs to be saved?

You don't need to replace the tires to do the alignment.