Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default need help with odd CRT monitor image

"John Robertson" wrote in message
On 2017/07/06 2:26 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"John-Del" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 11:18:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 7:17:12 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
wrote on 7/6/2017 1:00 AM:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 9:34:41 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 3:39:44 AM UTC-4, John Robertson
wrote:
On 2017/07/05 12:35 AM,
wrote:
And if it has a large value (1000-4700uF) cap inside the
feedback loop that is failing, that can cause severe linearity
issues.

Granted, however the OP did say he recapped the monitor and I
didn't
want to doubt his statement.

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

its an IC, an LA7833( nte1773) . i'll change it out and see what
happens. i did change out every cap, and it was exactly the
same. no better, no worse.

thanks much

just got done replacing the vertical IC, la7833. no change in the
image. no better, no worse.

Looks like the 24 volt supply is generated by doubling the 12 volt
supply.
Measure the 24 volt supply at pin 6. I bet something is wrong that
this is
only 12 volts, maybe the diode?

--
Rick C

https://na.suzohapp.com/pdf/service_...vp2_manual.pdf

https://na.suzohapp.com/pdf/service_..._schematic.pdf

B+ is 12v3, 12V and 24V good. i was thinking yoke, but they ohm out
good, and look like brand new. no physical damage.

Not saying the yoke is the problem, but a single turn shorted to an
adjacent turn will not change the resistance reading on your dmm, but a
single shorted turn will totally collapse the magnetic field of the
coil.

A ringer is the best instrument to check for shorted turns.

DSE did one, but I don't think the kit is available anymore.

The schematic is floating about and there's no unobtanium in the parts
list.

The old DS ringer was designed by Bob Parker and was best for checking
flybacks (LOPTs), not much use on yokes I'm afraid. The kit is now made by
Anatek (we carry it on Flippers), but you would be better off with an
inductance meter - split the vertical windings and each side should be
identical.

I tried the DSE ringer on pretty much anything laying around - it doesn't
like very low inductances.

Scan yokes should be fine.