Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default A: How to glue polyethylene or polypropylene

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 5:01:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 15:09:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, May 6, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Stuart Friedberg wrote:

Q: How can you glue polyethylene or polyproplyene?

In the past 10 years or so, I have worked extensively with "hot glue", including and inadvertent "oxidation even" and subjected the fumes to olfactory test. Burning hot glue smells like burning polyethylene. I expect they are one and the same ...

Hot glue is NOT PE. Most aree ethylene vinyl acetate. The ones that
are not are generally some fancy Styrene blend.

I think there's a wide span of formulations in the 'hot glue' category; among the
different formulations, the ones that smell like (and feel greasy like) polyethylene
are likely mainly ... polyethylene.

PVA (like ethylene vinyl acetate) is familiar as white glue, it is NOT greasy-feeling.