Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default antiseize for brass in salt water?

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 13:17:36 -0500, Ignoramus12559

On 2017-07-05, unk wrote:
Do I need/use anything for brass pipe threads (both pipe and fitting)
that'll be in salt water a lot?

Never use brass in sal****er, period, it will fall apart.

Yeah, if you leave it in salt water for long. If it's on a trailered
boat, say, or a piece of fishing gear, and it's never exposed for more
than a day at a time, it will be all right. Just rinse it off with
fresh water when it comes out of the salt.

Brass-to-brass threads are a bad deal in any environment except a dry
interior. I think the trick there is just to exclude water, like with
a Teflon-based liquid pipe sealer.

If the OP wants to know what happens to brass if it's left in salt
water, I have a few examples in my junk pile. g It turns pinkish-red
as the zinc leaches out, and the remaining metal is like a very
fragile copper sponge.

--
Ed Huntress