Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Warning, don't pour

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 11:57:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 10:45:08 -0400, micky
wrote:

So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
start a car that has run out of gas

If the vehicle is fuel injected, the answer is "maybe" but, the
potential hazard far outweighs the possible benefit.

I would never do it. And it also depends on where in the intake
system the gas is poured. If it's poured before the MAF, IDK how
that is going to react. Plus, you'd have to put the intake system
back together again, otherwise the normal airflow past the MAF won't
be there and it may never start. I know my car just died suddenly
from the intake system coming open when a clamp came loose.
So now you have gas fumes in a
confined intake system space, a space that is very different than
pouring a couple TBSP of gas into an open carb. Chance of it
exploding seems low, but I don't see the need either.