Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Warning, don't pour

On 7/5/2017 7:45 AM, micky wrote:
Warning, never pour fuel... into the throttle body air inlet opening in
an attempt to start your car. Could result in flash fire..."

I did this 2 or 3 times with carbureted cars, but I'm sure the same
warning would be given for those cars if they were sold new now.
However it worked well. I only needed to do this when I ran out of gas,
and after a few times, I learned** to turn the engine off the moment it
started to show signs of running out of gas, so that when I got a gallon
of gas and tried to restart it, there was still gas in the gas line and
it always restarted after a few seconds.

Clearly, wih a current, fuel injected engine, gas poured into the air
intake will not be injected into the cylinders, but it may be slightly
vaporized and sucked in with the air.

So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
start a car that has run out of gas

**Actually there were three stages:

1) At first, I'd pour the whole can of gas into the gas tank, and then I
might run down the battery or risk overheating the starter motore before
the car started. Maybe I had to get a jump, I can't remember.

2) I learned to not pour eveything into the gas tank and save some for
the carburetor. I'd guess between a quarter and an eighth of a cup,
maybe less. That always worked well. I think I tried starter fluid
earlier, but maybe the car didn't run as long on starter fluid as it did
on gasoline.

3) I learned to turn the engine off the moment it started to show signs
of running out of gas, and iirc I didn't need to pour anything after
that.

I pour gas into the intake of garden equipment, but have never found a
need to with a car. With a car, I pour the gas into the tank, turn on
the key, and give the pump time to fill the gas line, then start the car.