Steve Smith

Default How to prime an oil furnace?

wrote in message
The indoor tanks on my oil burning furnace ran dry without me knowing
it. I got them re-filled, but although the blower kicks on for maybe
15 secs it shuts off. There is no flame. Somebody I know said I need
to reprime the line.

Most likely. It's actually really easy on the Becketts. I'm not sure
about others, but I imagine they're the same. Right under or near where the
oil line goes into the pump there should be a bleeder 'nipple' nut. Get a
good catch pan underneth this and open it up about 1/2 - 1 turns. Start the
furnace and wait for the oil to stop spluttering and pour a constant stream.
Turn off the furnace, tighten the nut, and you're all set. Check to make
sure the nut is not dripping after you fire the furnace back up or you'll
have a smelly house, and high heating bills. I don't re-use the oil as it
always seems dirty when I look at it afterwards.

--S