Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tires....help needed on choices

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 22:51:40 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 18:46:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 12:01:23 -0400,
wrote:

What are airstops? googled: 9mm thick butyl tubes? Wow.
Yup. And they came in handy. On the tip from Livingstone Zambia,
up
through the copperbelt, across the pedicle of Zaire and up to
Mbreshi
in Luapula Province, during the rainy season (Christmas/NewYears
1974)
I stopped every hour or so, got out the hammer, and knocked the
rims
back to a semblance of round - and never lost any air. We had 4
adults
and 1000 lbs of supplies in a 1967 Peugeot 204 "break" on the way
up,
and 3 adults on the way back - - .

Those are some wow stories, clare. I'll bet your glass stays full
at
the pub. "You asked what that hammer was doing in the back seat?
It's
my Peugeot wheel sledge." You have much better tire squaring
stories
than I do.

Those are just a few of many "zamfix" stories I could tell - about
VWs, Peugeots, boats, Toyota busses, landies, and all kinds of other
strange contraptions

Ayup.

And then there's the Canadian ones involving old minis and
Vauxhauls
and Fargos and Rovers and Toyotas - and Fords breaking down in
Michigam - and fixing vehicles in Burkina.

That sounds like a couple of interesting books to me, and I'm
serious
about that. Let me know when you need proofreaders. Got pics?

https://www.amazon.com/Congo-Kitabu-.../dp/B0007FG5TI
"f I had to pick the man who had the most interesting life on this
planet, Jean-Pierre Hallet would be at the top of my list."