Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default update Ryobi driver/accessory kits? Did they stop with the canvas rolls?

On 2017-07-02, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Many suggestions, thanks.

The pencil roll case is a good suggestion

Still I'm looking for something very much like this:
https://picclick.com/Ryobi-Roll-Up-Case-Masonry-Set-Drill-Bils-371922866298.html

If not this version, I have one like this - it works for me, I
want another to collect all the bits which don't "have a home" - or as
nice a place as this.

"DoN. Nichols" on 30 Jun 2017 03:09:33 GMT

[ ... ]

For everything else, the elastic bands might work, but the old
style rolls with pockets formed by stitches separating them. Make it
out of old oilcloth, if you can find it, otherwise perhaps with the tarp
materials which are now available. Perhaps add some tough cloth along
the bottom of each groove to reinforce the stitches.

This assumes that you have a sewing machine.

Yeah, that I think I might be able to find easier.

OTOH - again with they make them do everything and then some, and
all I want is a straight stitch.

I didn't suggest a *new* sewing machine. What I have is the
Singer 221 "Featherweight", which folds up to be quite small, and (by
itself) sews straight lines. There are accessories for various thing,
such as holding an edge folded twice for the stitching -- and even a
separate accessory which will do buttonholes. It happened to come with
mine from an antique dealer -- who normally sold antique clocks, but
happened to have this for sale after his wife passed on. I've used the
buttonhole attachment *once* -- to put red-lined buttonholes on the neck
button of a vampire cape. :-) The straight stitching I've used many
times. (And no, my wife does no sewing, so it is up to me. :-)

Does anyone have any idea why they stopped making these, and just
went to custom built injection molded containers with no room for
expansion?

It is easier to automate the production of the molded
containers, so it costs less to make them.

Probably. Of course, now you have a huge box taking up room on a
table / bench or drawer - and you cannot add anything to it. Like the
specialty drive bits needed for your job.

If I get the time machine working, I'm going back and buying up
bunches of the more practical rolls, tools and other goodies. Forget
the lottery - there's where the money is.

Let me know if you bring forward a load of such things. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail