john williamson

Default Condensate pump wiring

Condensate pump wiring

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 12:06am From:
(Rick)
To define my "freeze condition," meaning being away for a week during
possible 0 deg weather, and the heater is shut down because of a $50
condensate pump failure. Since it is on a concrete basement floor, I'd
rather that the furnace keep going, but again, I don't know how much
condensate it generates. The Aprilaire, I know uses lots of water.
What is the opinion out there? Is it better to shut the furnace down to
avoid acidic condensate from a high efficiency gas furnace, or put up
with repairing burst pipes?
By breaking the R line, I can shut down the furnace, humidifier, and AC
unit, but not just the humidifier and AC unit.
--
Rick
"CBHvac" wrote in message
Not sure about the freeze condition, but we all didn't tell him that you
don't need 2 relays, but the freeze thing gets me...but...if he would
simply wire that R line up, he would be hokey fine..

++++++++++++++=

John wrote:

I have seen pipes freeze in conditions you described, it is not pretty.
You can destroy personal belongings, ceilings can fall down, or have to
be torn down, walls and flooring replaced. Varying degrees of damage
can occur. The worst one I have seen was a boiler system that froze,
they were not able to occupy the house for months.

You could put the pump in a plastic pan, the larger, the longer before
it flowed on the concrete floor. Personally, I would worry less about
a basement concrete floor than the rest of the house from what I have
seen on the subject.

your call
John Williamson