Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default gas discharge bulb V/I trace ringing?

On 07/03/2017 05:57 AM, frank wrote:
Hi all,
I was trying my Heathkit curve tracer on a gas discharge transient suppressor
(striking at about 200V) and I've found the following behaviour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKPkG5T1xc

Basicly it seems to heavily ring on the turn-off curve?
This kind of devices should just show a two lines curve in theory.
My curve tracer appears to work fine on other less exotic devices (BJT,
zeners).
Can someone explain what is happening?
Thanks

Frank IZ8DWF

Maybe Barkhausen oscillation (aka the Barkhausen-Kurtz effect). This
used to show up in old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs that were
evacuated instead of argon-filled.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--