Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tires....help needed on choices

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 16:06:31 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 12:35:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 10:18:53 -0400,
wrote:

I finally broke down and bought Michelin Latitude Tour tires on my
Ranger I am very happy with them as summer tires - Have Nokian
Hakkapeliitta R2s on for the winter.

Let us know what kind of miles you get on them.

I finally got the Toyota dealer to OK the warranty on the aux smog
valve and pump and it's in the shop today. Whew, I was sweatin' like
a pig over that one. $2,500 worth of relief!

My truck came back to me at 3:30pm yesterday and I put my foot into it
on the way home. No more limp mode, so it's fun again. The bill,
footed by Toyota, came to "only" $1,565.56. Thank you, Toyota.

I am unlikely to ever wear them out. The original 14 inch tires
lasted about 235000KM - it still had the second set on it when I
bought it, 16 years old, with 307000km on it.

WTF? Was that summer miles? I've never seen tires last that long on
anything. I got almost 60k on the rears of the F-150, with 2 new
pairs on the I-beam front end during that time.

I put on a set of used
Coopers that came with the 16 inch TorqThrust style 16 inch mags I put
on it 4 years ago, and I used them for 2 years before replacing them
with the Michelins. The coopers were not worn out, but were well past
their "best before date", being made in 1998. I put less than 10,000km
a year on the truck, about 1/4 of them, historically, on the snows. I
just got rid of the original 21 year old 14 inch snows, and they were
still over 1/2 trad.

How many months do you use snow tires there, and what is the normal
tread life of tires there. It seems mythical to me, so I'm thinking
they're made with ground Unicorn horn to get those miles.

My only other personal experience with Michelins was with the old
original "X" tires -on my 1967 Peugeot in 1973. At 6 years of age, the
car had over 100000 miles on it and the tires were still round, still
held air, and still had decent tread on them - but the tread was hard
as a rock and provided very little traction. I replaced 2 with Zambian
Dunlops The old "X" tires were not tubeless - they ran "airstops"

What are airstops? googled: 9mm thick butyl tubes? Wow.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my