CBHvac

Default Ventless Gas Fireplaces.

Whoops..hit send too soon...

"JNJ" wrote in message
After sitting though 2 hours on this one subject yesterday as part of

our
continuing ed for the state licence, I can assure you, a tight home is

not
sealed home...

I realize that no home is really THAT tight. They're certainly more
tightly sealed up during the winter months than others though. I know

some
just run it as a "feature" and turn it off when they go to bed sort of
thing, but others put it on a thermostat and let it do its thing. My

folks
have one and I'm assuming it's a decent unit as they dropped a pretty

bundle
on it when they bought it. I can tell when it's on just by entering the
house -- I smell it just as well as the oven. I dunno -- just seems to me
that the things gotta contribute to air quality issues.

The limits on those are at 21%...and we need a min of 18% to live...its

just
a bit freaking close IMO..

This is true.

The amount of fuel used, the combustion process, and the amount of

harmful
products generated in relation to the gas used.

This is interesting -- you say the combustion process is different. How

so?

I'm guessing that the gist of your class was that conventional wisdom
dictates these things are no problem?

Actually, they suggested that we shy from installs, unless the homeowner
understood that they can:

Kill, and in some cases, soot up your home in ways you never thought
possible...and that we follow code to a T, and make sure that we understood
all the loopholes that could create an unsafe condition.

Personally, I would much rather prefer a vented model.

James