Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Central AC quit

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 3:04:18 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/2/17 11:39 AM, Oren wrote:

Does this disconnect have fuses? Test the fuses individualy. They
burn out starting near the center.

One trick to test fuses is to check voltage from one end of the
fuse to the other.
It would be the same method as a continuity test. So I've been told
anyhow. Have you ever tried the end to end voltage test?

That works if the fuse is in a complete circuit, you'd get 0 V
if the fuse is good, full line voltage if it's open. But if
it's not a complete circuit, then you'd get zero either way.

While somewhat expensive at about $ 100 for a casual home user, I like
the Fluke T-5 tester. Just set it for ohms and put it across the fuse.
If it shows low ohms, the fuse is probably good, if it gives you an
overload indication, the fuse is probably bad. The meter is almost blow
up proof so that test works fine. I and several others where I worked
do it all the time on circuits up to 480 volts and never had a tester to
fail.

For the simple meters or even the neon bulb type testers, go from each
side of the fuse to the neutral wire. If it shows power on both sides,
then go across the fuse and if it shows power, the fuse is bad. If any
doubt, just pull the fuse and check it with an ohm meter. Should be
very close to zero ohms.