Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default gas discharge bulb V/I trace ringing?

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 09:57:35 -0000 (UTC), frank
wrote:

Hi all,
I was trying my Heathkit curve tracer on a gas discharge transient suppressor
(striking at about 200V) and I've found the following behaviour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKPkG5T1xc

Basicly it seems to heavily ring on the turn-off curve?
This kind of devices should just show a two lines curve in theory.
My curve tracer appears to work fine on other less exotic devices (BJT,
zeners).
Can someone explain what is happening?
Thanks

Frank IZ8DWF

My guess(tm) is that the unspecified maker and model gas discharge
tube might be filled with a gas that exhibits a negative resistance
characteristic, similar to a neon lamp, and therefore may be
oscillating. Neon, argon, and krypton are common gasses. Some gas
discharge tubes include something radioactive to lower the threshold
voltage.
https://www.google.com/search?q=neon+lamp+relaxation+oscillator
You might try substituting a common NE-2 neon lamp for the suppressor.
If the mess on the screen looks similar, then oscillation is the
likely culprit.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D