Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

On 02/07/2017 20:41, Bod wrote:
On 02/07/2017 20:33, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:23:38 +0100, Bod wrote:

ps; just remembered another problem years ago which was no broadband.
They sent an engineer out in about 7 days and he fixed my connection in
an underground terminal box which happened to be in a neighbour's front
garden across the road. Some sort of poor connection.
So I call that a good service.

7 days for an engineer? I think your definition of "good service" is
some what different to mine.

The normal 3 working days minimum for BT Openreach is too slow for
me, so I pay an extra £4.00/month to have faults repaired by the end
of the next day. Note: "next day" (as in 365 days/year) not "next
working day".

Hmm, that's very different to the stories I've heard about BT and
Openreach. I've been told by several people and also read many reports
that it's hard work to convince them to send an engineer and they often
miss appointments without even telling you.

Openreach is a big problem with any of the ISPs. When we had a fault
meaning no broadband and crackly calls for more than 3 weeks. TalkTalk
were a nightmare to deal with and Openreach just made it worse. They are
supposed to make an appointment, but twice OR called my mobile and said
they were in the area, could they come now - the first time I was just
just walking into the doors of the hospital, accompanying my wife for an
urgent MRI scan and the second I was many miles away and couldn't get
back. In both cases, because I could not immediately grant access, they
didn't contact me again for another 48 hours and they won't let you
phone them. What makes it worse, is that I knew what the problem was and
knew they didn't need to come into the house to fix it, because it has
happened before, but never shows up on line checks. Each time they spend
hours investigating, can't find any fault, but move us to another,
unused pair in the multi-core anyway and the problem goes away for a few
years.

SteveW