Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

On 03/07/2017 07:45, RJH wrote:

I'd imagine they mean by some sort of 'speedtest' - they have their own -
https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-run-speed-test

All they need to do is to give priority to their own speed test and its
no longer a real world situation. A better check is to use a third
party speed checker.

The other thing that may be a bit suspect is quoting a guaranteed speed
(rather than an estimated speed) before you have signed up. The aim of
the equipment in the exchange is to give you a reliable connection
rather than the maximum speed connection and if you end up with a lot of
line drops the sync speed may/will be automatically reduced. What the
ISP may guarantee is a lower threshold limit based on the speed your
line achieves after, say, 2 weeks of usage.

quote
If you're new to TalkTalk, hold off on taking this test for a week or
so. We start all new customers on a lower speed whilst we test your
line, so you should see an improvement over the next few days.
/quote