Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:41:38 +0100, Bod wrote:

The normal 3 working days minimum for BT Openreach is too slow for
me, so I pay an extra £4.00/month to have faults repaired by the end
of the next day. Note: "next day" (as in 365 days/year) not "next
working day".

Hmm, that's very different to the stories I've heard about BT and
Openreach. I've been told by several people and also read many reports
that it's hard work to convince them to send an engineer

Not had that many problems but a couple of weeks ago the line both
voice and broadband started to play up. 3 properties drop wires come
from the pole in the hedge across the road and we are the middle one.
Property to the left called in a fault and an openreach engineer did
what he had to do but afterwards our normally rock steady phone line
deteriorate both on speech and BB so I reckoned the law of sod struck
and he inadvertently disturbed our connections in the junction box.
Before I got around to reporting our faults the property to our right
called in about the tree branch that fallen on and was now hanging on
their drop wire, it wasn't large but wind action and the wires slope
had gradually moved it to the middle between pole and house.

When I did eventually get around to reporting our intermittent
service* by the online chat method the representative did a line test
which showed a fault very close to or within our property but
emphasized their would be a charge if the fault was found outside
their area of responsibility and wanted me to do various checks, this
was strong enough that it could put meeker people off and I wonder how
many people are living with bad lines because they don't want to take
the risk of being hit for a large charge.
My reply was that as out of the 3 drop wires the other two already had
needed attention the odds were fairly likely that our drop wire had
been affected rather than anything beyond the master socket and just
get on with sending an engineer.
She gave up on asking me to checks in the house then and arranged a
slot.

and they often
miss appointments without even telling you.

No problem in that respect, arrived bang on time, only ironical thing
is that they sent a text message with the name of the engineer and
that he was on his way which I did not get till he repaired** the line
as cellular signal for all networks is almost non existent here.
Hence I use the 3 in touch service which normally diverts call and
messages if they don't get through to our broadband a nd then to the
phone byWiFi.

* The neighbour whose repair affected us is also with BT so via the
Fon facility we were using their link.

** it was a bad joint in the pole junction box

G.Harman