Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell voltage

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 20:44:02 GMT, Dino
m wrote:

replying to Fred, Dino wrote:
I manage a building with a 8 apartment units. The single transformer operates
all eight doorbells. After two or three iterations, the 16 volt just kept
burning out within one or two days, or one or two weeks.. I just installed a
24-volt for sugar and grins, and it seems to be working okay with the
exception that one of the illuminated buttons the the light has burned out.
The lights on the other doorbell buttons are much brighter and much warmer so
it is a bit of a concern.

The problem is NOT the 16 volts being to low, it is the VA rating of
the transformer (which REALLY only comes into play if more than one
bell is rung at once) What you need is a 16 volt transformer rated
30va or more.. Many are only 10 va - get the highest rated one you can
buy - Try an edward 88-250 - good for 160va at 16 volts. Won't burn
out the button bulbs, the bells, OR the transformer.