Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default update Ryobi driver/accessory kits? Did they stop with the canvas rolls?

Many suggestions, thanks.

The pencil roll case is a good suggestion

Still I'm looking for something very much like this:
https://picclick.com/Ryobi-Roll-Up-Case-Masonry-Set-Drill-Bils-371922866298.html

If not this version, I have one like this - it works for me, I
want another to collect all the bits which don't "have a home" - or as
nice a place as this.

"DoN. Nichols" on 30 Jun 2017 03:09:33 GMT
On 2017-06-17, pyotr filipivich wrote:
I was given one of the Ryobi drill bits & accessory kits a bunch
of years ago. Wonderful, rolled up into a compact unit that stuffs in
a tool bag.
Since then, I have accumulated a metric but load of hexdrive
drills, screwdriver bits, allen drives and the other goodies. But
there seems to be this idea that space is infinite, and one can use
the space of a steven king novel to store and hold a dozen drill bits.
No wonder tool boxes are now coming with wheels and extendable
handles! It isn't the weight of the tools - but the bulk of all the
plastic kits, boxes and accessory containers!

Anyway, what I am looking for is another canvas roll with (in this
case) elastic bands for the holding of drill bits, hex drive bits
(slotted, Philips, square drive, pozi drive, and security torx drive)
and related.

One problem with the elastic bands is that it allows the edges
of the drill flutes to bash against each other, thus dulling them.

Not a problem - so far. things are held nice and tight against the
roll, which rolls up into a small space. Not a lot of room to have
things rattling around.

Another problem is that some shapes are not good for holding
under elastic bands. I have this problem with the rechargeable
batteries for the Nikon camera. They keep slipping out of the bands and
falling into the bottom of the case.

On that line - I hate having black plastic or painted tools in a
black accessory bag, in the bottom of an oh so trendy black toolbag,
with another black case on top of it - and not enough light. (even if
it is mid day and I'm outside.)

For everything else, the elastic bands might work, but the old
style rolls with pockets formed by stitches separating them. Make it
out of old oilcloth, if you can find it, otherwise perhaps with the tarp
materials which are now available. Perhaps add some tough cloth along
the bottom of each groove to reinforce the stitches.

This assumes that you have a sewing machine.

Yeah, that I think I might be able to find easier.

OTOH - again with they make them do everything and then some, and
all I want is a straight stitch.

Does anyone have any idea why they stopped making these, and just
went to custom built injection molded containers with no room for
expansion?

It is easier to automate the production of the molded
containers, so it costs less to make them.

Probably. Of course, now you have a huge box taking up room on a
table / bench or drawer - and you cannot add anything to it. Like the
specialty drive bits needed for your job.

If I get the time machine working, I'm going back and buying up
bunches of the more practical rolls, tools and other goodies. Forget
the lottery - there's where the money is.
--
pyotr filipivich