Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 20:47:05 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 20:36:29 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 05:29:02 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 12:54:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 01/07/17 12:43, Steve Walker wrote:
Road cars are mainly FWD for two reasons as far as I know.

1) The transverse engine and gearbox, plus lack of a propshaft
allows
for a far smaller tunnel and hence more cabin space in the same size
car.

2) FWD tends to retain grip when a RWD car might have let go.

Not quite.

The flip side to the latter is that once either has let go, the RWD
car
is more controllable - they can be steered on the throttle - but
only
people experienced in doing that (not me) are likely to get that
right.

The FWD was all about safety with incompetent drivers. Under power on
loss of grip a FWD will tend to understeer, but lifting the throttle
generally restores equilibrium. A RWD car will lose the rear, and
although the reduction in throttle is likely to bring the tail back
in,
its not an easy situation to bring under control.

That is, the propensity to lose grip is the same, its the behaviour
having lost it that makes the FWD more suitable for people who have
zero
interest in driving, to drive.

In fact its far easier to steer an FWD on the throttle than a RWD.
RWD
is a matter of controlling drift with throttle *and* steering input.
FWD
- especially on something like a mini - is about throwing in some
lock
and then controlling the corner using the throttle *alone*.

Exactly, but why deliberately make a car that requires more skill to
control?

yes keep it targeted to wummin drivers .....

No, most drivers. Hardly anyone knows how to and can control a RWD skid
in the fraction of a second required.

must be why the likes of costco and michelin won't put your two new tyres
on
the front ....

On a RWD car I presume you mean.

don't think it matters to them .... they just think it is better to stop the
rear end sliding...don't get it myself ......

On a FWD car, shouldn't the front tyres be the best ones? They drive and steer.

So are you saying that Costco will insist on wasting your money by swapping all the tyres round? Glad I don't go there.

I go to tyre shops that will put them where I ask. I normally replace ONE
tyre once it's bald enough to fail an MOT or have a pig moan about it, or
it's got a puncture. I have no desire to replace tyres which are fine.

I love black circles if it is a non-distress purchase .....

Huh?

--
If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.