Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default AC unit running

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 14:35:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/2/2017 11:56 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 08:44:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 9:05:57 AM UTC-4, Aire Caliente wrote:
On 07/01/2017 11:14 PM, LW1717 wrote:
I have a 1250 sq ft two story house, the upstairs is not cooling down
like the
downstairs. It's 82f outside with 60% humidity, tstat set to 73 and my
unit
runs 21 mins and off 10 min. Wondering if my cycle time is ok and how
can I
get the upstairs cooler, it stays around 78.
Thanks LW1717

Check your attic temp and if it's much warmer than outdoor ambient,
install some soffit vents and an attic fan.

An attic is always going to be much warmer than ambient in summer in full sun, seeing 30 Deg difference isn't unusual. That's what insulation is for. The attic should have adequate ventilation to keep the temperature from going to extremes and to prevent moisture. Most building experts today recommend ridge venting and not using fans.

I am curious about your "most building experts" statement. Do you
have a citation which can provide further information? I have
enthusiastically endorsed, for many years, the use of ball style, wind
powered, turbine attic ventilators.

I am curious why passive ridge venting would be superior to active,
wind powered ventilation.

He said fans, not turbine ventilators. Fans are problematic, fail, even
start fires. Turbines stop working too. Ridge vents are passive and work.

Thanks Ed. If you re-read my post, I did not write that Trader spoke
of turbine ventilators, I simply expressed my appreciation of the
devices.

As for the effectiveness of ridge vents, There is little doubt they
facilitate ventilation, and, other than their low maintenance
characteristics, I am wondering why they would be superior to an
active device.