Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 18:30:45 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 05:29:02 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 12:54:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 01/07/17 12:43, Steve Walker wrote:
Road cars are mainly FWD for two reasons as far as I know.

1) The transverse engine and gearbox, plus lack of a propshaft
allows for a far smaller tunnel and hence more cabin space in the
same size car.

2) FWD tends to retain grip when a RWD car might have let go.

Not quite.

The flip side to the latter is that once either has let go, the RWD
car is more controllable - they can be steered on the throttle - but
only people experienced in doing that (not me) are likely to get
that right.

The FWD was all about safety with incompetent drivers. Under power on
loss of grip a FWD will tend to understeer, but lifting the throttle
generally restores equilibrium. A RWD car will lose the rear, and
although the reduction in throttle is likely to bring the tail back
in, its not an easy situation to bring under control.

That is, the propensity to lose grip is the same, its the behaviour
having lost it that makes the FWD more suitable for people who have
zero interest in driving, to drive.

In fact its far easier to steer an FWD on the throttle than a RWD.
RWD is a matter of controlling drift with throttle *and* steering
input. FWD - especially on something like a mini - is about throwing
in some lock and then controlling the corner using the throttle
*alone*.

Exactly, but why deliberately make a car that requires more skill to
control?

yes keep it targeted to wummin drivers .....

No, most drivers. Hardly anyone knows how to and can control a RWD skid
in the fraction of a second required.

In the days I used to rally, I drove an Anglia. Someone in a souped up
Mini asked me what I had under the bonnet since he couldn't keep up with me
round corners. I just knew how to drive - and control skids.

AFAIK road drivers are only taught that in Finland (mainly because of how much snow and ice they get).

Practising controlling skids on public roads usually results in high insurance premiums.

--
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.