Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What the heck are these plugs for?

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 14:37:41 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 6:31:22 AM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:

Trump is NOT talking about replacing every imported item with a domestic
one. That's the leftist media's binary spin on this: If Trump talks
about reducing the trade deficit, then it means he wants to stop *all*
imports and make everything domestically. Not happening - not his plan.

Americans don't have any problem buying German, British, Canadian, Swiss etc. imports as we know they aren't built strictly for price. While the Chinese are not genetically predisposed to making junk, a very large portion of Chinese sourced pieces/parts are indeed crap. There are however many good parts sourced from China, it's just not the norm from what I've seen. Japan had the same (deserved) reputation

until they started making better quality stuff. Americans no longer have any problem buying a Japanese sourced component as we perceive them to be of higher quality that Chinese stuff.

I don't care where an item is made. I buy for quality, or at least what
I think is quality in my price range. Never could get an American car
to last. Started buying the Japan cars around 1980. Did buy a Ford in
1995 and it turned out that model was a piece of junk. Went back to the
Japan ones.

Around 1972 I took a tour of the local TV station. They had just gotten
in a few Japan Cameras about 6 months before and were bragging on them
and how they were going to get more as the money allowed for it.

China puts out lots of junk at junk prices. However I have found some
of their electronics to be every bit as good as the Japan ones that have
been highly rated for many years. Isn't China where many of the Apple
item are made ?

If the American companies would quit paying the higher ups in a company
large ammouts of money and put it into better quality I am sure lots of
jobs would come back to America. Really looks bad to go to a large
company and see a row of almost new high dollar cars for the wheels, and
the others old used cars for the workers.

This whole business of imported goods being junk has been going on for
a long time. When the USA was still a British colony all sorts of
goods were made here and exported to Britain. They were considered to
be of lesser quality than British made goods. And they mostly were.
This is because for the most part the goods were made to order. And
the British folks ordering the goods were mostly (I seem to have the
word "most" stuck in my head) interested in low prices. After the USA
was formed the cheap goods were still produced to order and most
(Gawd! there's that word again!) production was still owned by the
British. After the USA started to become industrialized certain
technolgies were prohibited from being exported to the USA from
Britain. Eventually the USA became industrialized, we developed our
own machine tools, the British lost control of our manufacturing, we
marketed our own stuff, and produced goods for internal as well as
external consumption, and quality improved greatly. Fast forward to
the period just after WW2 and the Japanese were in a similar
situation. Their country was devasted and they needed money. Many USA
companies started having cheap goods produced in Japan. These goods
weren't supposed to be of high quality, the USA buyers just wanted
cheap and the quality specs of the goods were lower than domestically
produced goods. But just like people everywhere in the world the
Japanese have the same intrinsic smarts and abilities and when they
could they started to produce their own stuff to their own desired
quality. The same thing happened with Taiwan. And Korea (Korea doing
to Japan what Japan did to us). Now China. India will probably be
next, at least when it comes to heavy industry. Machine tools made in
India are starting to come on the export market. As of now they are
not so good. But they are cheap. Computer controlled machine tools
from India still mostly have Japanese controls. But this will change
soon.
Eric