Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jfeng@my-deja.com is offline

Default What the heck are these plugs for?

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:51:53 AM UTC-7, John-Del wrote:
Americans don't have any problem buying German, British, Canadian, Swiss etc.
imports as we know they aren't built strictly for price.

Despite NAFTA, Americans cannot easily purchase cheaper drugs from Canada because it would make it harder for the drug companies to raise their prices..

Americans (and I'm guessing the Brits) are "bilingual" when it comes to
measurements (except the old guys like !). We use both
interchangeably and seamlessly. It's not an issue here.

There are lots of stories about problems caused by confusion between metric and Imperial measures. Two that come to mind are the spy satellite that pointed up to the sky, and the Mars probe that crashed.

I think the UK is metricated. The older Imperial units appear when they are being deliberately nostalgic, like in historical dramas. The last I heard, Ireland (not a part of a UK) had an amusing mixture where speed limits were in mph and road distances were in km.