Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Can I use a light dimmer on a Scroll Saw motor?

In article ,
says...

A resistance dimmer (gets hot) might work. Some triac dimmers might work. Look for a variable fan speed control. That would be the ticket. Noting all the while that the scroll-saw motor is not designed for variable speed and will likely heat up in short order. Many motors 'attempt' to draw as much current as they need to operate - and why it is that motor-type items hate brownouts.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Speaking of heat, many motors have an internal fan on the shaft. If ran
too slow that fan will not pull in enough air and the motor will
overheat.

Company I worked for burnt up 2 motors of about 100 HP running it on an
inverter to slow it down before I looked into it. Put an external
powered fan on the motor and all was well.