Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default What the heck are these plugs for?

On 1/07/2017 6:04 PM, wrote:
I needed to replace a 1/8" stereo plug on a cord. I found on ebay a pack
of three 1/8" stereo plugs from China, for about $2. I dont normally
order from China, but for the price and since I was in no hurry for
them, I bought them.

That was a mistake. They are NOT stereo, they are THREE CHANNEL. The tip
of the plug has THREE contacts, (plus the grounded base). What the heck
are they for? I have never seen any 3 prong 1/8" jacks on anything.

**They are used for a wide variety of things. One is for two stereo
channels and one video.

Yea, I could just ground the uppermost terminal so it acts as a stereo
plug, but it gets worse. Under the shell, I found a solder on ground
contact. But none of the three conductors have any contacts attached to
them. There are just three pieces of "rod" sticking out the back, with
the insulation in between. I would have to wrap the wires around them,
and solder them and by the time I manage to do all that in that tiny
space, I'd probably melt the insulation between the sections and unless
they wires were hair thin, they would short against the ground terminal.

For the small price, I am not gonna make a big deal out of it. I'll just
have to order some properly made plugs from an American manufacturer,
and use these worthless plugs for a conversation piece.

**"American manufacturer"? Don't tell me you've swallowed the Trump
Kool-Aide? I doubt that 3.5mm jack plugs were ever manufactured in the
US. If they were, it was likely before the early 1960s. If want REAL
quality, then look at Neutrik. Best 3.5mm jack plugs in the business.
You guys really have to get over this 'inch' bull****. Everyone on the
planet, save a tiny 5% of the planetary population has embraced the
Metric system. Hell, engineers and scientists in the US use it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au