MaxAluminum

Default Ventless Gas Fireplaces.

dkarnes wrote in message ...
JNJ wrote:

Ok, I give. The byproducts of burning natural gas include carbon monoxide,
PCBs, particulates, and so forth. Yet, we have these nifty gas fireplaces
that have no vents. As the stores that sell them will quickly tell you --
no vents are needed, there's no exhaust.

Huh? It's a simple reaction -- the byproducts must go somewhere. So what's
the deal with these things? Are they just that efficient? Is the exhaust
just so minute that it's not worth noticing? How do these things work?

James

just my opinion, go with a direct vent. i would not have vent free.

Ventless heaters keep coming on and off the market. They can be very
efficient since you are getting all the heat. Yes, you are breathing
all the byproducts. You will find that the water vapor produced will
steam up the windows all the time and sometimes cause rusty drywall
nails in the ceiling. When other chemicals are used in the house, such
as a small paint project, the smell will be greatly magnified. Some
people have headaches when the furnace is in use. These are some of
the costs of not venting.

PS. Same goes for any gas stove or oven. It's a good practice to crack
a window in the kitchen when using them. Even a small vent is quite
helpful.