Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Old Tube TV Keeps Changing Channel to Channel 2: Hitachi CT-1955 NP85XA Chassis / 19" Color-1984 Purchase

wrote:

Back in February or March of 2010 the TV began changing from any channel
to channel 2 intermittently. Sometimes very frequent. Other times more
intermittent but it would not go more than a few hours without the problem
popping up. Replaced IC0102 (MN14834HH) Main IC for the Channel Selection
Ckt but no help. Remote control IR circuit not the problem as I disabled
it. Over time have replaced some bad unrelated hw (burnt resistor, Caps).
Have schematics and service manual but can't isolate the problem. Nice
picture and everything else works fine. Unit in storage but every 4
months or so, when I see it and think about it, I fire it up. Hate to
trash this old tv. Kind of part of the family now. Has anyone ever heard
of this before?

Does it have channel up and channel down buttons on the panel? Since
channel 2 is the lowest channel, if the channel down button was occasionally
acting like it was pressed, it might end up at channel 2. I had a computer
LCD monitor that had a soda splashed on the panel, and it got into the front
panel button board, and it would work for months or days and then start
flashing through the menus. Severe cleaning of the board with the buttons
fixed it.

Jon