Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default My Son's Got The Woodworking Bug

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 7:45:57 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 6/28/2017 4:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Every since we worked on Soap Box Derby cars together, my son has always been
into fixing stuff. Now he's into making stuff. He's 28, bought a house a couple
of years ago and has been buying tools as required.

Here's the project he just finished. He found plans for a Dog Crate End Table
and decided to modify the plans to make it into a Dog Crate Kitchen Island.
It's his first real start-from-scratch project.

I'm a proud papa!

http://i.imgur.com/BoNXlhB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QVZauct.jpg

It looks like the dog approves!

http://i.imgur.com/GGQ8pvH.jpg

Nice, but is there some reason that the end grain appears
unfinished/unsealed? If ya needs a dog crate, this (and the one he
probably saw in a magazine as I did) is a good deal. If it's to be an
island in the kitchen, I just think I'd want the top sealed six ways to
sundown for ease of cleaning. (nothing against Fido, but. . . ;-) )

Nice of him to do it since he broke the freakin' cribbage board!

Different son.

He had just cut the top. He bought it from a guy on Craigslist/Offer-Up/Let-Go.
(I can't keep track of where he buys stuff anymore. He shops them all and
gets some really good deals. The Rigid table saw he got for $120 basically
****es me off.)

The top (and bottom of the top) is already treated with butcher block oil.
He's bought more oil, he just wanted to show the project. The end grain will
be done soon.