Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crankshaft construction

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 06:53:15 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
Clever inventors amd mechanics have been making crankshafts for a
very
long time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierapolis_sawmill
"With the crank and connecting rod system, all elements for
constructing a steam engine (invented in 1712) - Hero's aeolipile
(generating steam power), the cylinder and piston (in metal force
pumps), non-return valves (in water pumps), gearing (in water mills
and clocks) - were known in Roman times."

Amazing. The Romans had much of what we do today.

The Renaissance was a return to Rome's level. Europe didn't advance
beyond them in most ways until about 1800. One century later we had
cars and airplanes.
https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Engin.../dp/0345482875

-jsw