Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing A Small Piece Of Red Oak. Min Wax PolyUrethane Or ?

On 6/27/2017 4:56 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of red oak, perhaps 12 x 12 x 3/4 which I put a few holes
into
to mount a small circular barometer.

Wood has a beautiful grain, that I would always like to see.

Several folks at HD and Lowe's said the "best" way to finish it off,
and still be able to see the grain, is a clear Min Wax Poly Urethane.

Do you agree ?
Or,...?

If the clear Polyurethane, what's the best way of applying it, please ?

A piece of cloth from an old T Shirt ?
My finger ?
A really high quality brush ?
A cheap brush ?
One of those throw away foam brushes ?
Or ?

One coat enough ?
If not, how to handle; sand after dry, and then apply another ?

I'm really a novice at wood finishing, and would be very appreciative
for any hints.

Thanks,
Bob

I like linseed oil for a slightly glossy natural wood finish - any
"drying oil" will work the same . For best effect you rub the stuff into
the wood with your fingers . Rub it in until it gets warm , let it sit
for a while , wipe off excess and let it dry for a couple of days .
Repeat ... repeat ... repeat until you get the glow you want . This
gives a very "warm" finish but it's a lot of work , and most won't
invest the time and effort . Those folks are better off using urethane
or other varnish type product .

--

Snag