Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Finishing A Small Piece Of Red Oak. Min Wax PolyUrethane Or ?

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:56:46 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have a piece of red oak, perhaps 12 x 12 x 3/4 which I put a few holes into
to mount a small circular barometer.

Wood has a beautiful grain, that I would always like to see.

Several folks at HD and Lowe's said the "best" way to finish it off,
and still be able to see the grain, is a clear Min Wax Poly Urethane.

Do you agree ?
Or,...?

If the clear Polyurethane, what's the best way of applying it, please ?

A piece of cloth from an old T Shirt ?
My finger ?
A really high quality brush ?
A cheap brush ?
One of those throw away foam brushes ?
Or ?

One coat enough ?
If not, how to handle; sand after dry, and then apply another ?

I'm really a novice at wood finishing, and would be very appreciative
for any hints.

Thanks,
Bob

My favorite wood finishing product is called "Deft". It is basically
a brushing lacquer and is available in a spray can.

It is self leveling and will dry quickly enough so as to minimize dust
imperfections. It is available in gloss, semi and satin.

If you like the color of the wood, then there is no reason to stain
it.

Deft is available at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deft-1-Ae...1713/100183964

I am not at all fond of polyurethane, to me, it looks like you have
dipped the wood in plastic.