Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing A Small Piece Of Red Oak. Min Wax PolyUrethane Or ?

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:56:46 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have a piece of red oak, perhaps 12 x 12 x 3/4 which I put a few holes into
to mount a small circular barometer.

Wood has a beautiful grain, that I would always like to see.

Several folks at HD and Lowe's said the "best" way to finish it off,
and still be able to see the grain, is a clear Min Wax Poly Urethane.

Do you agree ?
Or,...?

I have a lot of red oak. You get a nice effect with cherry stain,
wiped on and off with a rag. It is just enough to brighten up the
grain. Then a couple of coats of poly with a good brush will do it.
You can thin the first coat about 50:50 with mineral spirits to get
better penetration and a smoother coat. Some say it is not necessary
because you will be sanding between coats anyway. I usually do tho.