Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Finishing A Small Piece Of Red Oak. Min Wax PolyUrethane Or ?

On 6/27/2017 5:56 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of red oak, perhaps 12 x 12 x 3/4 which I put a few holes into
to mount a small circular barometer.

Wood has a beautiful grain, that I would always like to see.

Several folks at HD and Lowe's said the "best" way to finish it off,
and still be able to see the grain, is a clear Min Wax Poly Urethane.

Do you agree ?
Or,...?

If the clear Polyurethane, what's the best way of applying it, please ?

A piece of cloth from an old T Shirt ?
My finger ?
A really high quality brush ?
A cheap brush ?
One of those throw away foam brushes ?
Or ?

One coat enough ?
If not, how to handle; sand after dry, and then apply another ?

I'm really a novice at wood finishing, and would be very appreciative
for any hints.

Thanks,
Bob

Poly is the easy way out, not the best.

You can use wiping oils, like Danish oil. Takes a few coats over time
to get it really nice. You have to let it cure between.

If I use poly, It takes a while to do it right. Put on a thinned coat.
Next day, put on a second coat. After 24 hour, sand, put a third coat.

Now you wait 4 weeks. Yeah, really, 4 weeks. Lightly sand with 220
grit. wet sand with 400 grit. rub with pumice. rub with rottenstone.
Wax, usually 2 coats.

There are also fillers you can use with read oak to get it smoother.