Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_44_] Bob[_44_] is offline

Default Finishing A Small Piece Of Red Oak. Min Wax PolyUrethane Or ?

Hi,

Have a piece of red oak, perhaps 12 x 12 x 3/4 which I put a few holes into
to mount a small circular barometer.

Wood has a beautiful grain, that I would always like to see.

Several folks at HD and Lowe's said the "best" way to finish it off,
and still be able to see the grain, is a clear Min Wax Poly Urethane.

Do you agree ?
Or,...?

If the clear Polyurethane, what's the best way of applying it, please ?

A piece of cloth from an old T Shirt ?
My finger ?
A really high quality brush ?
A cheap brush ?
One of those throw away foam brushes ?
Or ?

One coat enough ?
If not, how to handle; sand after dry, and then apply another ?

I'm really a novice at wood finishing, and would be very appreciative
for any hints.

Thanks,
Bob