Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Prehung door doesn't close properly

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:47:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:40:06 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 05:05:57 -0400, Jack Legg
wrote:

On 06/26/2017 08:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some
of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and
closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame
and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire
someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

...and a guy with the correct tools? Done right you don't need
expanding foam. Foam rope works better. You buy a door that fits the
RO, not the other way around :-\

The purpose of the foam isn't to take up space to make it fit,
it's to stop air leakage and energy loss. Expanding foam is used
in wall cavities for the same purpose. If you put too much or maybe
use the wrong kind, I guess it could exert enough pressure so that
it binds the door. I don't think using foam by itself indicates that
the guy didn't know what he was doing.

Bottom line. Foam rope of various sizes will stop air intrusion and
insulate when packed in the cavity. Of the thousands of door and
windows installed, that I've been a part of none needed expanding
foam. Done right with the right tools, there is no wind drafts and it
provides great insulation. The hack installer screwed the pooch. The
door should work properly before walking away. OP hired the wrong man
for the job and maybe trying to save money.

His question: " How can I get this thing fixed properly?" Cut the
door out and start over!

As Derby asked. What part of the RO was cut. I've seen the RO not
match the correct window size. A carpenter on site had to change the
RO.