Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Prehung door doesn't close properly

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:37:54 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM UTC-4, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Did you let this guy walk away, paid, after screwing up the installation? Call
him back and tell him to fix it.

And was it hitting before he left? Not sure I buy the expanding
foam thing, seems to me that stuff could find places to expand
to other than pushing in the door trim. But if that's the cause,
I would think it would be done expanding before he left, but
maybe not.

Of course there is also the possibility that the poster realizes
they hired a nitwit and that they just wanted him out of there,
because he'd likely continue to screw up.

And poster said he used shims all over. IDK exactly what that means,
but it's normal to have to shim it in various spots.

What part of the "frame" did he cut? Here's a picture of door and a rough
opening. "Framing" is not a specific term, so what exactly did he cut and
why?

http://thequickdoorhanger.com/wp-con...DOOR-TERMS.jpg

Good question. For all we know he could mean the frame of the new
door.....