Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default cutting 1/2" thick aluminum bars on a budget?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:02:59 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have cut aluminum with circular saws, both hand held and table. The
key is to use carbide tipped blades. I'm pretty sure that your plywood
blade was not carbide.

It will not cut aluminum as fast as it cuts wood (duh?) - so don't force
it. You can also make multiple passes, starting with the blade low and
raising it each pass.

It is much harder on the blade's sharpness than wood is (another duh),
so I keep a separate blade for aluminum.

I have cut 3/4" aluminium with my wood cutting band saw, 1/2" 5T.blade
which I use for general shop work. Bonus - you can tilt the table
rather than the blade.