Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crankshaft construction

On 6/26/2017 8:36 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
How were crankshafts made before the development of specialized
machine tools? I've looked around on the Web and found no
description that doesn't rely on purpose-built machinery.

I did find http://modelengines.info/goldeng/const/crankshaft.html
but I can't figure out how the author located the offset center
holes in the blank.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Harley cranks are built up of a pair of flywheels , a crankpin (con
rods are fitted and mounted before assembly) , a pinion shaft to drive
the cam and auxiliary items (oil pump, timing ignition , etc) and a
sprocket shaft for power output .By inference , since this motor is a
direct take off of radial aircraft engines , they would be made the same
way . The crankpin location in that example was located by simply
measuring the offset - carefully ...

--

Snag