Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_7_] Meanie[_7_] is offline

Default Prehung door doesn't close properly

On 6/26/2017 8:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of
the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and
brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Why did he have to cut the frame?

Since foam sealant was used, I assume an exterior door?

If the door hits the frame at those two points you stated, the foam may
have pushed it out. You can remove the trim to expose the foam, cut some
of it away and nail or screw the frame to the stud to pull it in. I
prefer a screw since you can slowly increase pull to ensure a straighter
frame. Use a long level or yardstick on edge against the frame/door jamb
to view the bow/bulge decrease as you screw it in.