Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Mortar and Concrete - excess cement

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
When mixing mortar or concrete is there any reason not to use more cement than
necessary? If I use a standard mix I will end up with surplus cement which won't keep.
If I use more cement, I might be able to avoid buying one bag of sand. Not a major
saving, but there is also the problem of getting rid of the surplus cement.

As has been pointed out, a standard mix isn't called a standard
mix for nothing.

As you say cement won't keep whereas sand will. One way to avoid
waste in individual jobs which won't take a whole bag, is to have a job
or jobs on the side that can use up any surplus mix but don't necessarily
need to be finished off in the one go. Having the small job(s) which
need to be finished off at some point can also act as an incentive to
get started on the next big job.

michael adams