Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortar and Concrete - excess cement

On Monday, 26 June 2017 15:58:40 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
When mixing mortar or concrete is there any reason not to use more
cement than necessary? If I use a standard mix I will end up with
surplus cement which won't keep. If I use more cement, I might be able
to avoid buying one bag of sand. Not a major saving, but there is also
the problem of getting rid of the surplus cement.

The only reason not to is cost, until you reach somewhere around 3:1. Going richer than 2:1 or 3:1 reduces strength.

NT